Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Shattered screens

It seems that teachers must be a robust lot as I have only had half a day's supply since the begiining of term and with no decorating to do, and little to do in the garden, I am getting a little bored. Still fun things still come along to make life interesting. We had the pleasure of the boys for a sleep over at the weekend which kept me on my toes, and a trip to B&Q to choose the tiles for the bathroom.

Everything is on track to start that final room at the end of this month. We have now ordered the bath and suite from a local bathroom supplier, the taps and the shower from the internet (a bit of a result there because I completely forgot with the boys visiting to order the shower we had chosen. It was in the sale and I was sure when I woke on Monday morning it would have reverted to its full price now September was over. I was more than pleasantly surprised to discover it had actually been reduced by a further £20). We also chose and ordered our bath screen from a well known catalogue company. On Monday that too arrived ... well a screen didnt arrive but a very bashed box containing a bubble wrap bag of tiny bits of glass arrived. On the phone at once for a return and replacement I waited in all day yesterday for the collection and another half day today for the new one to arrive. It has and I am too scared to open it fully (having peeked enough to check it is a whole screen) in case it collapses on me.

Anyway all this time at home has allowed me to complete another two double layouts and also finally take my hand to attempting to draft up a Lutterloh system sewing pattern.

The pattern is a 1939 top which does have a matching skirt but since the top of me is where I have the most problems with fit I thought I would have a go at that first. I didnt have the special tape measure that should come with the system but I have managed to find one that can be printed off and have afixed it to an ordinary tape. It all seems to have worked quite well, and with only a miniumal full bust adjustment, a tissue fit seems to fit in all the right places. We will see. i hope it does work because I have full pattern books from teh 1930's, '40's, 50's and '70s with a couple of 1960's supplements which could keep me garment making for the rest of my natural!

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Its a Craft Room!!!!

Hurray! Finally following the packing into boxes of all my stash, storing it in the attic and returning the craft room to a bedroom to dress the house for the sale, selling, moving and two years plus in renovating the bungalow, last week I finished unpacking the last of my bits and bobs, and moved into my new craft room. Ok its not quite what I envisaged when we moved here as our lovely new addition Beckett came along and the front small bedroom is not big enough for two little grandsons to spend their sleepovers, so I have the smaller room and the boys have nabbed the larger double which was intended for my crafty creations. But hey! Who cares? With a bit of a squeeze and some careful organisation I am in (with the added advantage of a front window looking out on the world).

Already I have completed 2 double layouts and made a name banner for little Beckett. If I can get my laptop to co-operate with the bluetooth software I may even be able to start uploading photos again!

Yesterday was Wayne's birthday, and despite him never wanting much fuss it seems we all had the same thought and supplied him with cake. Not that he is ever one to refuse cake, but 6 cream assorted delights from me, plus a choc gateaux, a cream vicy sponge and a few more cream delights was rather going over the top. A good job we were all there to help him munch them. And we had great fun watching Beckett racing up and down the kitchen in his walker. With only 9 months behind him, the boy has no fear and goes for it hell for leather.

Happy birthday Wayne, hope you had a great day.

Tomorrow Martin is having a rare Saturday off as it is the autumn golf meeting. I hope to get him along to order our new bathroom, booked to be started at the end of October - the last room! Then the plans are to finish off the garden (including the front this time, clad the attic and then..., we will be done!!