Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Shattered screens

It seems that teachers must be a robust lot as I have only had half a day's supply since the begiining of term and with no decorating to do, and little to do in the garden, I am getting a little bored. Still fun things still come along to make life interesting. We had the pleasure of the boys for a sleep over at the weekend which kept me on my toes, and a trip to B&Q to choose the tiles for the bathroom.

Everything is on track to start that final room at the end of this month. We have now ordered the bath and suite from a local bathroom supplier, the taps and the shower from the internet (a bit of a result there because I completely forgot with the boys visiting to order the shower we had chosen. It was in the sale and I was sure when I woke on Monday morning it would have reverted to its full price now September was over. I was more than pleasantly surprised to discover it had actually been reduced by a further £20). We also chose and ordered our bath screen from a well known catalogue company. On Monday that too arrived ... well a screen didnt arrive but a very bashed box containing a bubble wrap bag of tiny bits of glass arrived. On the phone at once for a return and replacement I waited in all day yesterday for the collection and another half day today for the new one to arrive. It has and I am too scared to open it fully (having peeked enough to check it is a whole screen) in case it collapses on me.

Anyway all this time at home has allowed me to complete another two double layouts and also finally take my hand to attempting to draft up a Lutterloh system sewing pattern.

The pattern is a 1939 top which does have a matching skirt but since the top of me is where I have the most problems with fit I thought I would have a go at that first. I didnt have the special tape measure that should come with the system but I have managed to find one that can be printed off and have afixed it to an ordinary tape. It all seems to have worked quite well, and with only a miniumal full bust adjustment, a tissue fit seems to fit in all the right places. We will see. i hope it does work because I have full pattern books from teh 1930's, '40's, 50's and '70s with a couple of 1960's supplements which could keep me garment making for the rest of my natural!

No comments: