Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas crafting, mats and place settings

Despite still feeling like death warmed up, and coughing all over the place, I have had a pretty good week this week.

Monday Kelly sat one of her accountancy exams and then came round to play in the 'bubbles'. Their house sell/move is not going as smoothly as they had hoped so she was pretty down and needed the destressing time in the hot tub. Its a strange experience hot tubbing in minus degree temps but still great fun.


On wednesday Martin and I took the mad decision to take a trip up to Bluewater shopping centre. We only wanted a new pair of shoes for Mart and a Secret Santa present but I really wanted to enjoy some christmas atmosphere and it wasnt too hard to twist Martin's arm with the promise of a meal out and a trip to the cinema.

Sadly there wasnt much in the way of Christmas atmosphere, not even many decorations in the mall, but as we walked towards TFI we looked out the window to see little flurries of snowflakes falling. Eating lunch these flurries turned to huge flakes and did try to lay, but by the time we came out of the cinema the rain had started and much of the snow had gone. Thank goodness as I hate snow with a passion.

The film 'The Nativity' was brilliant and I urge everyone to go see it. Lots of laughs, lots of poiency, and some fantastically talented child actors!! Take your tissues.


We then wandered across to the Winterwonderland where I got to have a play with my camera to attempt some of the stuff I had been learning in my photo course.

Some reflections on the fozen river.
The ice rink - and it was real ice, we thought it would be dry
Yesterday I decided to take a day crafting as I wanted to get some stuff done for the christmas table. I started with some really tatty dingy looking old cork table place mats. I covered them in gesso as a base.

2 dry coats later I was able to sand them down and paint with white acrylic. While the paint was still wet I used some Plaid Denim Blue on a sea sponge to give an 'inked' feel around the edges.

The snowflakes are cut on the cricut using a variety of sizes and a ding font called WWFlakes. These were inspired by Kaths snowflakes, simply ink the edges (I used Sky Blue colorbox) and dust with glamour dust.


The pictures I chose were a freebie a found last year on a blog that has now closed down which is a shame as the lady had some serious digi talent.

Finally finished off with a coat of protective PVA (although I am thinking of getting some sticky back plastic so they can be wiped over) and voila.


Matching snowflakes piled in groups of three joined with foam dots made the place names/serviette holders,

simply topped with a pearl.


The bands are card put through the zip-e-mat using a cuttlebug folder.

Glue onto bands cut from toilet roll holders, add some name labels printed out in word and hopefully they will look very effective come Christmas lunch time.

1 comment:

Lyzzydee said...

You have been a very busy bee!! very nice !